Trip preparation -- Immunization day






April 17, 2007 (Tuesday) -- Just returned from Alachua County Department of Health located near Gainesville, Florida. Sat through two hours of updates on perils of spending time in Indonesia. Recommended were Hepatitis A shot, typhoid fever vaccine, tetanus update, malarial pills ($5/pill), polio vaccine, and deet repellant for denghe fever. For cholera, we either "boil it, cook it, peel it, or forget it." Do you know they even have a vaccine for shingles ($200)? Of course, this is assuming we already had chickenpox, measles, mumps and rubella. If we go to one of the other islands, add to the above Japanese encephalitis. They also recommended a rabies shot.


Another couple were also planning on traveling overseas. Had to sneak this photo but I wanted to get the lady's hat. It doesn't show up very well but it was "lively."


I'm practicing typing blogs and inserting photos. My friends, Joyce and Wiley, while staying here with us, helped in setting up this blogspot. Now I'm just trying different views, photo sizes, and so on. With practice, it should become more interesting!
















11 comments:

Joyce and Wiley said...

Great job on your first blog, guys! I'm looking forward to some shots from Indonesia.

Sandy Dise said...

Alot of preparation for this trip. Hope all goes well for you and John.

Mr. Swank said...

You are really getting the hang of this. Looks GREAT! I'm glad you didn't get the best pic of that hat. I'm sure Diane would want one for herself.

Mr. Swank said...

Oh, you're slacking on the blog posts; what else do you have to do. Don't start bad habits already. LOL

Judi said...

Great job, Julia. I am anxiously awaiting your first report from Indonesia. Hugs to you and John.

Judi

Carol said...

5/1/07 Julia: I wish you a safe trip. Am green with envy. This is just a test message to see if I can get through after about 8 attempts. Love, Carol

Carol said...

4/5/2/07 Good morning, Julia. I cannot seem to post messages to you, except periodically. Google says I'm not doing it right, but I don't know what else to do to get through. I will try it one more time, and if this doesn't work, I'll just use regular E-mail from time to time and not rely on blogging.

Carol said...

Julia. This is a third message I've tried to send today. It's a test. If this doesn't go through, I'll have to give up. Love, Carol Woodard

Carol said...

5/2/07 Well, even though I was told to "use a different account," and not use "Carol," two of my messages went through. Sorry to be a pest about this. Judi is not having any problems, she says. Maybe the third message will show up -- who knows. Love, Carol Woodard

Carol said...

5/2/07 Well, even though I was told to "use a different account," and not use "Carol," two of my messages went through. Sorry to be a pest about this. Judi is not having any problems, she says. Maybe the third message will show up -- who knows. Love, Carol Woodard

Carol said...

5/2/07 Julia, can I delete my own messages? XXX Carol Woodard